Glasgow University BUCS grant
We are pleased to announce a grant to Glasgow University Orienteering Club towards expenses for the team attending BUCS
British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) is the national governing body for higher education sport in the UK, and that includes overseeing annual BUCS competitions for all sports, with orienteering being no exception. Each year university orienteering clubs around the UK take turns in hosting BUCS Orienteering, and this year it is the turn of Cambridge University. Attending is the pinnacle of a university orienteering club's calendar, and so the recently reinvigorated Glasgow University Orienteering Club (GUOC) are keen to attend, but as a newly formed club, and given the distance involved, this is a financial burden. So we are pleased to be able to assist with their travel and accommodation expenses.
Some of the recent highlights from GUOC include:
- Restarted 2 years ago with no funds or kit inherited.
- Grown to be the 2nd largest Scottish University Orienteering club by numbers (28 current paid members).
- Came 2nd at the last two Scottish University Championships (after Edinburgh University).
- Came on top of all university clubs in the Scottish Inter Club Competition for juniors and 2nd to only EUOC for seniors.
- Came 5th in BUCS last year.
- Taken more newcomers than any university to each of the last 2 Scottish University Championships.
- Awarded British University Orienteering Club of the Year (and president Dan Graves was awarded British Orienteering Young Volunteer of the Year).
- Committed to making the sport more sustainable and inclusive.
Attending BUCS will provide several benefits to GUOC.
- It will provide credibility to the club and sport for students, which is vital for recruitment in the following year.
- It will serve as a motivation boost for students, as they will compete on less physically and technically challenging terrain than they are used to.
- It offers the memorable opportunity of a large team event, which is suitable for all abilities, which will hep keep the momentum of the club and prevent a decrease in membership.
We wish GUOC every success at BUCS, and in their future development.