The Orienteering Foundation is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information, how we use it, and how we keep it secure.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you
- make a donation or run a fund-raising campaign for us via MyDonate
- make a donation directly to us
- submit a grant application to us
- join our mailing list via MailChimp
- use our website
- otherwise contact us.
What type of information is collected from you?
The personal information we collect might include your name, title, gender, postal address, email address, telephone number and any other information you submit as part of a grant application (such as bank sort code and account number for the payment of the grant). If you make a donation via MyDonate, we do not see any payment details and your card information is not held by us; it is collected by our third party payment processor as explained below. Your IP address (which is a unique identifier that computers and devices use to identify and communicate with each other) is automatically recognised by our web server.
How is your information used?
We may use your information for a number of purposes, including;
- to process a donation that you have made
- to process a grant application
- to contact you by email, text, post or phone to:
- seek your views or comments on what we do
- send you communications that you have requested or that may be of interest to you
- conduct campaigns, appeals and other fundraising activities
- to use your IP address to monitor traffic and gather browsing behaviours of visitors to our websites. We will not use your IP address to identify you in any way.
When we collect information from you, we will tell you if we would like to send you information about our activities including future appeals. We will give you the opportunity to opt in to any such communications and will tell you how to opt out at any time.
How long will we keep your data?
We review our data retention periods for personal information from time to time. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example the collection of Gift Aid). We will hold your personal information on our systems for only as long as is necessary for the relevant activity.
Who has access to your information?
When you are using MyDonate, your donation is processed by a third party payment processor, who specialises in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions. If you have any questions regarding secure transactions, please contact us.
What security arrangements are in place to safeguard your information?
We will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information you give us.
Communications in connection with our services may be sent by email. For ease of use and compatibility, communications will not be sent in an encrypted form. Email, unless encrypted, is not a secure means of communication.
While we endeavour to keep our systems and communications protected against viruses and other harmful effects we cannot bear responsibility for all communications being virus-free.
What use is made of cookies?
How do I update my information?
Other entries related to: Policy documents
- Volunteer Effort Project
- Club Development
- Technology innovation
- Who Are We?
- Frequently asked questions
- Subscribe to our email list
- Administrative Support
- Registered address
- Policy documents
- Our relationship with British Orienteering
- Orienteering Foundation Strategy 2020-2024
- Annual reports